Today IBM has announced the new release for IBM i 7.2. In his blog post announcing the new release Steve Will, Chief Architect for IBM i, briefly described the themes of new release as:
[w]e have a list of themes that related to delivering a great platform for today’s solutions. Mobile devices, cloud delivery models, advanced middleware – IBM i 7.2 delivers function that enables all of these. And, in conjunction with the rest of Power Systems, we announce support for the first POWER8-based systems. You’ll be able to find a lot of information about new Power Systems, and we will have more information about how IBM i takes advantage of the new architecture in the future, but that’s not the focus of our IBM i bloggers today.
He also mentioned that the IBM Knowledge Center is the place to find all the release 7.2 documentation. You will find it at:
Major enhancements in this release include:
- Enhanced security options in DB2 for i
- Many new functions for programmer productivity and expanded function in DB2 for i
- Improved ease of use with IBM Navigator for i
- Enhancements to iAccess Client Solutions
- Extension of security to more applications through new single sign-on (SSO) environments
- Liberty Core as the base for Integrated Application Server
- Support for Zend Server 6.0 on IBM i 7.2
- Performance improvements for the integrated file system
- Extensions to the printing environments
- Expanded Hub functions for Backup, Recovery, and Media Services (BRMS)
- PowerHA SystemMirror for i Express Edition with new HyperSwap capability
- Support for new Power Systems built with POWER8 architecture and processor
- Additional I/O capabilities including support for WAN over LAN
- Rational tools enhancements to support Free Format Report Program Generator (RPG)
- Support for the open source file serving solution Samba
The announced planned availability date is May 2, 2014.
Rather than repeat what others have said I am going to give the links below to the details:
- Release 7.2 announcement letter
- Knowledge Center for release 7.2
- What is new in this release for RPG?